Visa and Residence


Obtaining a student visa in your home country is a requirement for formal registration as a student at a Turkish university. Therefore, students who come to Turkey with other types of visas or legal entrance procedures can make their registration at their universities but will not get a student residence permit, instead, they can take tourism resident permit.

Student visas must be obtained from a Turkish consulate, generally the one nearest your place of residence in the country of your nationality. Student visas CANNOT be issued from within Turkey. You can easily apply for your student visa on and take your appointment before you go to the consulate.

Residence Permit

 A residence permit is required of anyone who will stay in Turkey for longer than 3 months or the amount of time granted through a visa. Therefore, all international students including exchange students are obliged, by law, to apply for and obtain a residence permit upon their arrival in Turkey.

Student residence permits are given for students who will be completing an undergraduate, graduate, or vocational degree in Turkey. They usually get the residence permit for the length of their program. After they finish their degree, students are allowed to extend their temporary permit for another 6-12 months, with the reason of finding a job in Turkey.

Students need to get the following items ready prior to the appointment date.

  • Passport, the original and the copy (copy of the Data Page, copy of the page which bares the stamp of the date of entrance into Turkey and if you had a visa, copy of the page baring the visa for Turkey will be needed. If you came to Turkey with an e-visa, then you will need to submit a copy of your e-visa along with your application). Please note that, in order to get a residence permit, you need to have a passport valid for at least the next six months.
  • A valid health insurance policy(you may apply for one in the international office, if you would like to get a private health insurance)
  • Student Certificate(Öğrenci Belgesi) issued by the Registrar’s office (the student certificate should not be older than 10 days so that you need to get a current student certificate before your appointment)
  • Biometric photos (at least 4)
  • Receipt of 89 TLresidence permit fee (the fee can be paid to the tax offices in Fatih or Eminonu or in Ziraat Bank Branches)
  • Copy of your online registration(appointment papers)

Note1: If the name, middle name, and surname in student’s passport is stated all together in one section (not separated) it is required to obtain a name equivalency certificate from consulate or embassy of the home country (it is important if your surname is not separately mentioned. If it is the case, please contact your home country’s embassy or consulate. The same applies for the students with an abbreviation in their names. They will need to obtain a name equivalence certificate stating their full name without abbreviations).

 Note2: If you are under 18, the signed documents from your parents regarding their permission about your study in Turkey and its notary approved sworn translation (you may obtain a sample of such a permission letter from the international office). Along with the permission letter, you need to submit your birth certificate (or similar documentation) proving that the signatories of the permission letter are your parents.


Learn how to get benefit from our website with this video guide